Thursday, December 6, 2012

The importance of self-care

Every day, and especially during the holiday season, remember to take time to care for yourself and your needs. Many of us have learned to cater to everyone else's needs and whims first, leaving no energy for ourselves. When we take even 5 minutes to breathe and relax, when we say no to someone, we are filled with anxiety, bitterness and even anger. Today, I learn to listen to my inner voice, and make sure I fill my own cup with Love before sharing it to the world.

Remember the airplane drills in case of emergency: always put on your own mask before helping others with their mask. If you don't have your life-sustaining oxygen, how can you be of true help to others? The same concept applies here. When you give too much of yourself to your spouse, your children, your coworkers, your friends, your job... what is left for you? What is left of you? How centred do you feel within yourself? How content? If a change is to happen and the children move away, or the job ends - can you still stand for yourself? Do you still know who you are inside? When you don't respond to your own needs first, you don't have the psychic fuel required to truly love or assist anyone else in a clear and non manipulative way.

Stop sustaining others out of the misguided concept that it's better to give than to receive. Recognize that only when giving and receiving are in balance will you truly start to understand Love.

Today, I make a list of what needs to be cherished and cultivated in myself. I realize that everything that is not going well in my life, and that relationships which have turned bitter are in fact rooted in self-neglect and a lack of self-love. 

Today, I bring my life into balance by raising my sensitivity and responsiveness to my spirit in a timely and loving way. I ask myself, "what could make me happy today?" - and I take steps to make that happen.

Self-care and self-love are necessary to advance one's soul in life's journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment